With an area of 810 square kilometers and nearly one million residents, this capital city of Texas is an area rich in history with deep European and Mexican cultural roots. Originally settled in the 1830s, early settlers included mostly German, Swedish, and Mexican transplants, and their strong influence is very much alive and well today in modern-day Austin.
It’s especially evident through the aptly named, “Keep Austin Weird,” a local movement dedicated to the kitschy creative scene that attracts so many to this cultural hub.
Every day, the uniformed drivers of Sam’s Limousine cruise these roads on our way to and from Austin’s most beloved landmarks. As your trusted tour guide, we can offer you a safe and reliable tour, complete with insider extras and tips that only Sam’s Limousine can provide.
The only question is which tour suits you best?
A central prize of the “Keep Austin Weird” movement is the artwork, dedicated to the city in form of beautiful murals decorating downtown. Here are some of our favorite spots to visit:
- “i love you so much” at Jo’s Coffee
- “You’re My Butter Half” on East MLK
- “Greetings from Austin” on South First
- “Hi, How are You?” near campus
- “Till Death Do Us Part” on East Seventh
For a full immersion of culture, the Mexican American Cultural Center celebrates the vibrant influences of Mexico, while the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center is a celebration of the soul and strength of the African American community.
No tour would be complete without a visit to the gem of Austin’s downtown district, the historic Driskill Hotel. Even with you don’t have the budget for an overnight stay, it’s worth visiting the hotel for a whiskey cocktail at the Driskill Bar, one of America’s top 10 bars as rated by USA Today.
When night falls, we’ll venture over to the Moonlight Towers, a group of 14 working towers scattered throughout Austin’s hillside. These make up the only known operating light towers in the entire world and are an homage to early technological advances in outdoor lighting.
And of course, pop by the picturesque Mount Bonnell, a long-time local favorite that’s perfect for an afternoon picnic or sunset proposal.
Might We Suggest…
These kinds of tours often require extended periods of time in the car, so make comfort is especially key. For more intimate tours, choose a stretch limousine or SUV limousine with sumptuous leather seating for up to 16 guests and stargazer fiber optic lighting to enhance your journey.
Austin offers no shortage of museums for the culturally inclined, with an impressive selection of artsy institutions throughout town:
- Blanton Museum of Art with its breathtaking, colored glass exhibition of Ellsworth Kelly: Austin
- The Contemporary Austin, split into two locations with Austin’s leading community art school and museum, to include the gorgeous Betty and Edward Marcus Sculpture Park
- Mexic-Arte Museum, a brilliantly energetic homage to Mexican and Latin American art
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum, usher in serenity amongst Umlauf’s sculptures within this outdoor garden
- Canopy, East Austin’s working communal art complex
- Volcom Garden, a new addition to Austin with retail, art, and music
- Yard Dog Art Gallery, where folksy art rules this contemporary space
- Austin Art Garage, with its all-are-welcome attitude and concessions for all socio-economic patrons
- Women & Their Work, a female-centric gallery celebrating 40 years of creativity and education
- Old Bakery & Emporium, a local smorgasbord of arts and crafts with a concentrated focus on the unique and eclectic
- Cathedral of Junk, one Austin’s citizen contribution to the city’s art scene with his own scrambled statues of scraps
Might We Suggest…
Museums are the perfect activity for large groups to team up for a day of adventure and discovery, but that means you need a lot of room.
A Mercedes sprinter van is great for smaller groups of up to 13 passengers, with flat screen TVs and iPod/MP3 connectivity for quick refresher videos in between museums.
Larger groups will enjoy the comfortable indulgence of our luxury charter bus, with convenient amenities like complimentary Wi-Fi, electrical and USB outlets for easy charging in between stops, and sumptuous, reclining seats for up to 56 passengers.
Catch a Show
- Long Center for the Performing Arts – downtown’s entertainment venue with a strong focus on local artists
- ZACH Theatre – a family-friendly live theater that also offers classes and workshops for all ages
- Paramount Theatre – a historic treasure that attracts top national acts and hosts fun social events
- Zilker Hillside Theater – home to the beloved Zilker Summer Musical, this non-profit theater is also known for its community outreach
- Scottish Rite Theater – a Masonic landmark that features unique acts like operas and trapeze acts
- The VORTEX – an artist-owned theater that prides itself on out-of-the-box productions
- Teatro Vivo – this theater runs true to Austin’s deep-rooted Latin culture with regular bilingual shows
- Conspirare – Austin’s very own Grammy-winning choral ensemble, frequently featuring two youth choirs
The University of Texas Austin also offers its Performing Arts’ Bass Concert Hall.
Might We Suggest…
For a more glamorous experience, select an upscale sedan for black car service from Sam’s Limousine, perfect for date night or creating a red carpet-worthy entrance at the next big society event.
Larger groups will appreciate the comfort and luxury of a mega limousine or party bus to transport you and your closest friends to the after party in style.
With the unique ability to customize your personal tour itinerary, you have the option to custom-tailor each experience to your liking.
Want an extra hour at the Umlauf Sculpture Garden? Want to forego one stop for another? Just work with the friendly team at Sam’s Limousine to build the perfect trip for your group.
Avoid exorbitant parking fees which quickly become unaffordable the more stops you make. No worries about parking or long walks – your uniformed and professional driver will safely drop you curbside so you can make that headline-worthy arrival.
As long-time residents of the great state of Texas, and Austin in particular, Sam’s Limousine has the knowledge that only locals can acquire, that intimate familiarity with the busy neighborhoods and quiet back roads of our sprawling metropolis.
From VIP tickets to early seating and private, behind-the-scenes tours, Sam’s Limousine will create the custom tour experience that you will never forget.
There’s no place like Austin, and we’re here to prove it to you. Keep Austin Weird, friends, and call Sam’s Limousine today!